Week Three, Response Three: "Amazon Go, a high-tech version of a 7-Eleven, will finally open on Monday — with no checkout lines and no cashiers"

INSTRUCTIONS: Before you begin, please read this short article from Recode"Amazon Go, a high-tech version of a 7-Eleven, will finally open on Monday — with no checkout lines and no cashiers" by Jason Del Ray. Once you've finished, read the following commentary and follow the Blogger instructions found on Cobra to post a comment answering the questions in the final paragraph. You should also comment on at least one of your classmate's replies. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or difficulties posting.

According to the article, the future of Amazon Go has been five years in the making: Amazon's first brick-and-motar store that allows customers to enter and leave with goods without using a checkout line or consulting a cashier. Sounds neat, right? But how does it work? Del Ray explains that the store is "outfitted with cameras and shelf sensors to help Amazon's computer vision system work some magic." 

Amazon has stated that this is the first of many stores to go completely automated. Supporters of the Amazon Go store prototype have also voiced how the future is here, and employees must learn to adapt or be left behind. Those who oppose the store and its technology argue that the "magic" Amazon mentions is invasive. Cameras would match whatever items were purchased with the consumer who purchased them, thus allowing the store to access private consumer data without as much as a disclaimer. Critics also argue that like most aspects of technology, the store removes yet another way we interact with other humans throughout our days, thus threatening our ability to physically communicate as a species.


IMAGE: An upset man TEXT: "The look you make when waiting in line at Walmart"
When I first read this article, I was a bit defensive. Despite being an Amazon Prime subscriber, I'm well-aware of the effects Amazon's services have had on small businesses, and Amazon Go seems like another push to move *something* out of the way; however, I also thought about me and my husband's grocery shopping trips or gas station visits. If we need something at Wal-Mart, we always use the self-checkout. There's always long lines in the two registers that are open, so we opt to do the work ourselves and get back into our vehicle in a fraction of the time. Although most gas stations don't opt for self-checkouts inside, we almost always pay with our debit card at the pump. If we do need something inside, we often find ourselves complaining about the guy holding up the line trying to buy lotto tickets, or the new cashier who doesn't understand that if I bring my own cup (which I do every time) that it should be charged as a mug refill rather than a 32 oz. soft drink purchase. Maybe we are, in fact, already adapted to a store where we don't have to deal with slow cashiers, or angry customers, and instead where we can simply waltz in and out and wait for a charge to appear from our Amazon account. 

So, what do you think? Is Amazon Go the way of the future for convenience shopping, or are we losing our touch with reality and physical communication if we eliminate the need for cashiers and checkout lines? How might your shopping habits be affected? Where would you rather shop? In what ways does this news relate to the technologies we've discussed the past two weeks? 

Comments

  1. i think amazon could work with businesses to supply at a local level thus keeping small towns in work amazon is definitely the way pf the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon is defiantly the way of the future. I know anytime I can’t find something locally I can usually find it there. That being said I do worry that the convince of being able to order something from my phone and receive it within 1-2 days for free shipping will have a negative impact on small local business. It would be nice to see the local small business owner be able to work with Amazon, but I don’t see that happening.

      Delete
    2. I could see how Amazon could work with local businesses, however I do not see that benefitting them as a company rather than if they worked on their own without making ties into other companies.

      Delete
  2. One more example of how we have come to live in a world where everything is instantly delivered to us and removing human interaction. Sometimes in life we need to stand in line and learn the patience of waiting. Getting instant gratification for everything is not always a good thing! Not sure if I would use this or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, we need to understand the basic aspects of life like something as simple as waiting in a line patiently or understand basic human interaction at a store. The technology is neat but I think we are getting way too far ahead of ourselves.

      Delete
  3. I think this is truly a really neat and interesting idea/concept. Yet at the same time I do agree that it does sound invasive and has a lot more behind it then what Amazon thinks. The technology is amazing that is for sure, but I deal with hackers on my accounts occasionally and I have had a few instances where someone came in possession of my debit card information. What happens then? People will always find a way around a system and I feel like Amazon should have a happy medium where they take aspects of their technology and the common store methods and combine them. Baby steps before they just start releasing stores that have no people and are all through our phones or online accounts. Im not 100% against it but I am also not 100% with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who works retail and fast food this is a little frightening and I'm worried that stores like this will eventually put part time minimum wage workers out of work. There are still certain thing that machines can't do but eventually this could lead to less jobs. However despite this fear I also think that this could be useful and might make shopping easier in a lot of ways and would also eliminat humaan error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this Amazon Go thing is a pretty good idea, for the most part. However, I feel like it is the worst thing to happen to the local small businesses. You don't really see many "mom and pop" shops anymore, and with Amazon Go, I am afraid these "mom and pop" shops will be depleted. With the world evolving in such a fast, technological way, people are forgetting about the grass roots of business. We are moving further and further away from interacting with other human beings, and it actually makes me sad. The unemployment rates will continue to rise with more automated shopping, resulting in higher rates of poverty and also crime. Not to mention, with all the automation, the amount of hackers is going to multiply on a supreme level! I have always worked in customer service, so when it comes to all these technological advances, it worries me that these types of jobs will become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is true jobs are getting obsolete but when jobs be obsolete there is usually a path way to newer and better jobs for people.

      Delete
    2. Very true about the "mom and pop" shops, which loses business for the small towns. Since I grew up in a small town, I can appreciate the smaller shops a lot more when I go back home. It is such a home like feeling when you enter the shops, that I would hate to see the stores go.

      Delete
  6. Personally i think Amazon Go is a great idea. Every bit of technology has its pros and cons. When Iphones or any type of smart phone came out, people where worried that people would be able to hack their device and their security would be at risk. We still have those problems but we do not worry about it as much as we first heard the idea about smart phones. Alot of opportunities were created and lives became alot smoother with smartphones. As for the Amazon Go, it will be the same outcome. There will be the same pros and cons to every bit of technology that is invented but the pros are going to out weigh the cons. Lines are going to go alot faster and we will not need use physical money or if we cannot afford groceries that day we will have the money for it later on. It is kind of a buy now pay later type of deal which really can help families in there time of need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you that this can help families that are having hard times and that they could pay at a later date. This could really help families that are in debt.

      Delete
  7. I think that Amazon Go is a great idea. The only downside to it, is if it ever crashed. Or charged you for something you didn't get. Especially if it is hard to prove that you didn't get it. Yes technology is growing, but to me I feel like being in contact with other people is important. I like the idea of no lines, but then you lose interaction with other people. Since it gets charged to an account, it could help the families that absolutely need an item(s) at that time and pay for it later. Everyone has their own opinions with technology and people interactions, but having an open mind is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bogus charges would be a concern They mentioned cameras, but they would be the only thing people could rely on to prove what they actually left the store with. Some people will not ever use this service, but I think some would think it would be very useful.

      Delete
    2. There would also be a worry I think for the company if something didn't come up they might start losing product. This may also make it harder to do inventory and have loss prevention.

      Delete
  8. I do agree with the idea that it can negatively effect local business, but it is good for the consumer. Convenience is the positive that I think outweighs any negatives for the Amazon Go locations. From what it sounds like, they are only operating in large metro areas, so may the effect to small business will not be felt so much. If they were competing with small town shops, there really wouldn't be much competition for pricing or time saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the competition aspect in the article. I think it'd be interesting to see if people would draw themselves towards computer operated stores rather than what they are used to or might prefer in a smaller town. Even in today's society, not everyone has a smartphone. By needing to keep an app on your phone at all times to go shopping it would prohibit some from actually being able to shop there. Also, if Amazon Go were not to have a patent on the design of their store, could other stores follow in their footsteps. I don't think shopping should revolve around an app and if other stores ditched the idea of paying employees, how many apps could we be using on our phone just to visit the stores we shop at the most.

      Delete
  9. I think Amazon Go is a nice idea but something that will never take off and be more than an experiment. By creating a workplace running solely on machines would take away many jobs. If the system ever crashed or charged someone for an item they didn't purchase; this could cause many problems. Amazon's reputation would go down and lose customers. Taking away the wait time in lines when you only have a few items is perfect if you're in a hurry. Taking away the social aspect of stores may worry some if they have questions on where to find items or what items might best suite them. I think taking away the wait time in lines is a fun idea but I don't think this idea will ever fully take off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that Amazon Go is the way of the future because if we go this way then it means that their will be an increase in customers buying stuff from places that have this technology. They will want to see how it works and test it out for themselves. Our shopping habits might change by us buying stuff that is not on our shopping list because we want to see how this new technology works. I would rather shop at Walmart because they have cheaper prices and you can buy more for the money that you have in your wallet. This news relates to the relates to the other technology that we have talked about because everything we have been talking about are huge advancements in technology and this is a huge development too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a interesting point that I agree with. I think since more people will be comfortable with this technology because there is no face to face or awkward interactions so there will be more customers. I do also think that the prices for some items could go down because they do not have to pay their workers and they will have an influx of customers. The only thing that I am worried about is a monopoly being created from these tech companies over the stores who still employ humans because I think there should still be a balance of the two.

      Delete
  11. I think that the Amazon store will be the future of shopping because it eliminates wasted time which people will tend to value over more than the human interaction I believe. I do not think I count talking to a register as a human interaction because in most scenarios everyone is just putting on a happy face in order to leave as soon as they can. For most people I would say they go into a store especially a grocery store to get what they need and not to make social interactions there are other places for that. I do not think my shopping habits will be changed because all that would change was how fast I would be in and out of the store. I think I would choose to shop here because it would be interesting the first couple times to see how far technology has come, but even after that phase wore off I would just find it more convent. This store relates to what we have discussed in the past two weeks because it shows how technology can be a threat to jobs in the future and how technology has advanced so much in the past decade. There is no limit what technology can be for society both positively and negatively we can only hope that the leaders of this tech revolution do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in agreement with you on this because I am the type of shopper to go in, get what I need and leave. I don’t always feel the need to carry on conversations in the store with people. I feel that if I want to carry on a conversation, we can either call or text one another. This is the first step in going into the future of a self-complete check-out store without having to wait in lines.

      Delete
  12. I think that Amazon Go has more benefits than anything else. The only downside I can see to this is the potential for jobs that having cashiers would open up, however for the customer, the benefit may outweigh the cost. Looking at the price for goods, the less money that the company has to pay for external costs such as employees, the less they will have the need to mark up prices. Of course they are still creating this business to in the end benefit the company, so the price difference wouldn't be much, however that is still a factor.

    One main thing I like about this store, and what I assume may drive more people there is that there are no check out lines. You simply walk out with your goods. This will be convenient to people who don't have much spare time for grocery shopping or what not. However, a factor we are not yet sure the outcome for is how this will affect other grocery stores in that area. Amazon has the potential to gain all customers who use their services in that region, given the potential for other stores to go out of business if enough people make the switch. We just can't say for sure yet what will be the outcome.

    In the end, Amazon Go is opening the doors for a new way of life, along with the other companies working to make our lifestyle more on the technological side. This may have a result of a less personable lifestyle, but we will just have to work harder to keep our human relationships strong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe this is a good idea for customers who do not want to wait in long lines to check-out. On the other hand, I feel it is going to affect the economy by taking away jobs. I also see that this is the way of the future so we should be preparing ourselves mentally and physically to accept the technical challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment