Week Two, Response Two: "Wild new world of dating will make 'swiping right' seem quaint"

INSTRUCTIONS: Before you begin, please read this short article from NBC: "Wild new world of dating will make 'swiping right' seem quaint" by David Cox Once you've finished, read the following commentary and follow the Blogger instructions found on Cobra to post a comment answering the questions in the final paragraph. You should also comment on at least one of your classmate's replies. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or difficulties posting.


IMAGE: Two robots posing as wedding cake toppers

In the article, David Cox highlights the effects technology has had on dating culture and how technology will continue to change the way in which people find compatible romantic partners. Cox speaks of experts that believe in twenty years, dating as we know it will be replaced with virtual reality dates and artificial intelligence algorithms that will match potential partners based on social media posts and internet habits. He even mentions the possibility of computers tracking heart rates and other medical-related figures to dive even deeper into compatibility. 

While experts continue to develop the technology, the article mentions Corinne Weisgerber, a sociologist at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas, who asks: "Are we ready to hand over something so central to our understanding of our own humanity—our desire to love and to be loved—to a seemingly objective formula?" Weisgerber is an expert on the psychological effect of new technologies, and believes that the dating development could potentially replace the ability to interact and communicate with potential partners in reality. 

Think back to your first date or another moment where you felt a connection with someone else, even a friend, for the first time. What details do you remember? Use your senses: sight, touch, taste, smell, and sound. Dive deeper and try to remember your emotions. Were you scared or anxious? Happy? Excited? Now imagine if all of that had taken place online, using a pair of virtual reality goggles in your living room. How might things have been different? 

So, what do you think? Should we trust an artificial intelligence program to review our social media pages and connect us with potential matches? How do you think these programs might positively or negatively change the face of dating in the 21st century? Can successful relationships be built from social media data, or are we looking for more?

Comments

  1. Wow! This to me is crazy. I grew up in a time when you had to go out into the real world and meet people. You had the experience of going on horrible dates that your auntie so and so set you up on, all that is a thing of the past. Now we are looking at dating but not actually meeting the person, like in person. To me this is so crazy. For me it’s a big NO to trusting an artificial intelligence to choose a mate. I’m not sure I like the idea of my future son or daughter in law being a robot either. One positive thing I can think about is that you are no longer tied down to finding a mate within a certain distance from you. You can meet people from all over the world, which is really cool. It is a bit concerning to me when we let something so private and personal be decided by other people and computer programs. There is something to be said for one on one conversations. Going through the awkward silence and running out of things to say. Experiencing those butterflies when you hear (actually hear, in person) that special someone’s voice or the smell of their cologne/perfume worry this will all me lost. Even with smell sensors and other sensors that people can create artificially can never replace the importance of actual human touch, expressions with body language and just the pure chemistry of just being attracted to someone. I have personally used dating apps and I can say how this was not successful for me. Good old fashion bumping into someone at work who happens to be a friend of a friend worked out way better than what a computer matched me with. I guess for some people this will be great but you can count me out !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people may like meeting people online if they are very shy or feel uncomfortable in social settings. Online could be used as a gateway to allow dialogue between people in a non-threatening way, allowing those involved to feel more comfortable being themselves. If the people were to meet in person after conversing online, it may be a more positive outcome than meeting in person originally.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i prefer face to face interaction it's alot easier to find out the truth about the other person heck my parents met on a blind date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you're able to make a faster opinion about someone with person to person interaction. Taking out the initial social network interaction is preferred by many people as they get to know each other quicker rather than guessing what their true personality is like.

      Delete
  4. The technology used to match people up with one another is about the only good thing I took away from this article. Being able to meet the ideal person using the personality tests can be a good thing, allowing people to meet from anywhere in the world and any background or upbringing. It seems very unlikely that things will evolve to the point where we go on virtual dates while sitting on our couches, traveling anywhere we want with whoever we want. I really hope person to person contact will not be lost because of this ability. Virtual reality, in my opinion, should be left for entertainment purposes and not as a substitute for real life relationships. As real as they may seem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I agree with you about the only good thing you took from the article is the technology used to match people up with one another. To an extent, that is. I feel like the old saying "opposites attract" is very accurate. What I mean is, if you get matched say, 98% with someone on a dating app, you may find out that you and your match are too much alike and end up not being able to stand each other. I also agree with you that virtual reality should be left to entertainment purposes and not substitute real life relationships. Virtual reality is just that, virtual...not truly authentic.

      Delete
    2. I agree 100%, leave the virtual reality stuff for entertainment!

      Delete
    3. I totally agree that virtual reality should be left for entertainment!

      Delete
    4. I agree with you Chris, I think it is neat and all we have these abilities with technology but it could not even come close to real life communication and compassion. I understand people are shy and this would be great because it is not as stressful as meeting in person and going on a physical date but at the same time, like you stated, it would not be authentic.

      Delete
    5. I agree one hundred percent. I feel like a grama saying this but this new technology is almost too much. I think were just taking away all of the good things in life. I don't think its right that someone could be so desperate for a partner they'd meet people online. WE have to focus on ourselves first and learn to be happy on our own.

      Delete
    6. I understand where you're coming from that the online dating should be for entertainment purposes and we should not get away from the human interaction of dating. I feel human contact is very important when looking for a significant other.

      Delete
  5. This is nuts! How can you ever think you will find your true soul mate or life partner through virtual reality? I suppose if you prefer to live in the Land of Make Believe like King Friday, then you will be fine to date this way. Honestly, I believe that in order to find true love, you must have human contact. What if you want to raise a family? You can't do this with a robot or computer, obviously! I have tried dating apps and did not find my life partner. That isn't to say that I just chatted with people online; I actually would meet up with people that the app matched me with. While chatting online and on the telephone were great for getting to know the people before actually meeting in person, it still didn't prepare me for the real thing once we met up. What I mean by this is, yes, my matches and I would hit it off but when it came to meeting in person, they ended up not being what was portrayed. Sure, their pictures were really them, and their voice was their own, but they wouldn't be completely truthful. For example, this one woman I met online was great at first. We texted, spoke on the phone for hours on several occasions, just really hit it off. We were excited to meet in person because we thought maybe we each had found "the one." Well...lo and behold, we meet up and I find out she had no teeth at all and was about 10 years older than she said she was! Of course, I still went through with the plan of going out to dinner and having drinks, because I'm not a complete asshole, but we never went out again! I mean, I could deal with someone having false teeth, but to not wear them for a first date/first time meeting a potential mate? Total turn off!! Fast forward about 8 years and I am married to my best friend and we met through my job. In person. Big difference! Neither of us had to worry about what was real and what wasn't because we me in the flesh, talked in the flesh, hung out in the flesh, experienced new places in the flesh. And yes, she has all of her teeth, lmao! I can't say that if I wasn't married that I would go back to online dating. I feel like there are too many people out there who will paint a false picture of themselves. I really hope that this "virtual dating" does not become a reality. We humans are social creatures. We need that person to person interaction. If we don't have that, I am afraid it will end up being the end of humankind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally like to meet face to face. The whole meeting online thing seems always fishy to be because people like to act like someone else. I like to go on actual dates and be with the person face to face. People can disagree and meet online but still go on actual dates later on and meet in person. If that works for them then you do you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your point of view exactly, however I feel you are basing this more on us making our own decisions about who we see off the internet similar to how it is now with sites like e-harmony. The thing that is emphasized to my understanding in this article is that it would be out of our hands to look for our potential matches but instead we would be handed a list of individuals that a computer algorithm has deemed a match for us. In my opinion this would create an even lower success rate than us using our own judgement to create our personal group of candidates to select from.

      Delete
  7. I think it's crazy that we will have the type of technology to try and create dating entirely online. Yet at the same time it is a little too much. I understand the whole aspect that people are shy and they sometimes cannot handle the thought of going out on a date. I understand, it is stressful. That is the whole point, the butterfly feeling we all go through at some point or on every single date is just one tiny aspect of the whole experience. I personally don't think this is really necessary dating is a fun and happy part of life that does not need to be substituted with technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is good to challenge yourself to go out of your comfort zone. If everyone was shy we would not have people who are optimistic and artistic. There is not a strong love connection behind a computer screen nor can you really get to know the person.

      Delete
  8. It's crazy to think how much technology is being used in our lives. I think having the ability to go on a virtual date is a little creepy and over the top. Personally, I am an introvert when it comes to social interactions; especially when it comes to meeting girls and the fear of getting rejected. But, meeting new people and finding out if their the right person for you with all the traits you're looking for is part of the fun. Snapchat and dating sites have been a huge step in the right direction. Personally, I have met many friends and had the opportunity to have relationships through snapchat and eventually meeting in person. I think the technology we have right now is enough for the common person. I think people that would go on these virtual reality dates are going to be extreme introverts who are scared to come out of their comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that this type of technology is at a good place right and does not need to take the next step to virtual reality. I think right now technology is used as a starting place to meet someone, but if you want to build on that relationship you have to meet them in person in order to really get to know them.

      Delete
  9. I think it's kind of cool finding your matches and similar interests to you across the globe. It gives you a opportunity to go to new places learn about new cultures and build relationships and experiences. People need that social interaction. It gets to be too much if the person starts to have virtual dates and never meet in person it's like dating a robot. People need real social interaction and challenging situation. It's not healthy for your body nor eyes to sit behind a computer all day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you it is not healthy to sit in front of a screen all day. They need to interact with people to form relationships with people in real life.

      Delete
  10. Personally, I've met my boyfriend on twitter. As rapper, Yo Gotti, would put it, "It went down in the DMs". But, when we met in person i was anxious and nervous, what if he didn't think I looked how he expected me to look, i literally could have been anything. I think it's better if we met face to face, but the internet does broaden your horizons because fortunately we both attended Parkland that Fall. Face to face weighs out the anxious thought about what if he/she doesn't like how I look, talk, smell, etc., but don't get me wrong it, also, creates nervousness. I think as technology advances it doesn't require us to work hard at all. I feel like I could not have a serious relationship/partnership through the internet, it is not possible. I want to be able to touch that person and it creates a bond to even be able to be with that person. Relationships are, also, long term nobody gets in a relationship and says, "oh yeah, we're going to be together for the next 3 months and them break -up", no. Relationships are investments for your future, thinking about starting a family and living with that person for the rest of your life. With these virtual relationships can you, also, have virtual kids? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally, I do not spend much time on social media, however, I am very familiar with interaction via the internet with strangers. I would be more quick to judge a book by its cover than i would to judge someones personality based on what they appear like online. Specifically in gaming people tend to try and create a persona of being much more tough and thug like over chat within the games. For instance, someone may be saying that they could beat you up if you say another word while in reality they are a 9 year old boy playing in their living room while their mom makes them mac and cheese before bed time. I believe this idea translates inversely on to social media whereas people try to come off as much more friendly, kind and likable than they truly are for the purpose of looking appealing to strangers. An example would be someone who has only hiked once in their life but they post a picture of them at the top of the trail with a caption along the lines of, "Just another day in the life." Therefor insinuating that they are an avid hiker and a very outdoors or athletic person. Seeing as this is not a rarity and almost everyone posts things that they feel will draw attention or favorable attitudes towards them we should not leave it up to an algorithm to decide which of these posts are real and which ones are misleading. In all, I believe a computerized pairing system through social media would create a mass of failed encounters and very few successful ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree a lot with your mention of in cases of people in gaming often being someone they aren't. It comes to be a large problem when people end up wanting to make a relationship when they are being someone they aren't over the internet.

      Delete
  12. I do not think that we should trust an artificial intelligence to pick out who we are going to spend the rest of our lives with. We would have no idea who that person is in his/her daily life. So, we would not know if the person they meet in person is a criminal or not. A positive effect of online dating is that you can really get to know the person through his/her profile. A negative effect would be you do not know if the person you are talking to is real or even an older guy creeping on younger women. I believe that successful relationships can be formed from online data. But I also believe that we are looking for more buy trying to find our soulmates to have an in depth conection with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I personally don't think it is a good thing for humans socially to use AI in order to find their relationships. That is the way that we hurt our social skills and then in that way it has a trickle down problems throughout our lives. I think if we let AI take over our ways of choosing and finding our relationships, we will be even more disconnected from our relationships than we already are. The relationships we want will only benefit from true human interaction. Over the internet the importance of seeing someone else's face during a conversation isn't there. I don't believe successful relationships can be built or maintained if only over social media.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The whole idea of meeting someone online personally as a female has always seemed a bit more on the risky side of things for me. You never know who you may be meeting up with. The concept of online dating also just seems so impersonal rather than meeting someone and really having a connection versus analyzing people whilst not ever really knowing the true them . Its so easy to lie online as well so you might not even be meeting the person you thought you were. However the success of these apps is undeniable. It seems to be the future of relationships, however sad that may sound to some people. I think that being able to have this type of technology at hands could be useful more so for preexisting relationships, like people who live long distance. I dated someone for two years who lived in another country and having these being accessible to me would've made things so much easier.

    At the end of the day though, I just see too many negatives to outweigh the positives of 100% online dating and meeting people on your phone instead of real life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucas Miles,
    I think this is a very interesting topic because this seems so futuristic to me but in reality it could become a reality in the near future. I also found this article very interesting because there is a Black Mirror episode that this dating way is the plot of the episode. I am not sure if we can trust the program because it just does not seem as natural as meeting someone face to face. The program could also get it wrong and match you with someone that may seem like a good fit but in reality things just do not materialize. I think if this is implemented then people would become too comfortable with less face to face interaction. This would in result make relationship have less value I believe because you are just seeing a projection of them instead of the real thing. I think you can start a successful relationships can be started by social media but the foundation will be the face to face interaction with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand the way of dating is changing, I do not quite agree with online dating because you cannot get that human contact or sense of feeling where the individual is coming from. I feel that it is easy to become someone else other than who that individual really is, which leads to individuals being hurt or feeling deceived. On the other hand, this may be more convenient for some people who do not want to take the time out to meet people the old-fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts